Monday, August 29, 2011

Nerd Is The Word

What's today's subject guys? Drumroll please... ... NERDS! ...but, not just any nerds...
uh... no, not this nerd. 



If you truly love doing things like... ... playing video games for hours on end, reading and collecting comics obsessively, watching cartoons and anime, writing fan fics,scfi,and fantasy stories... drawing these anime and comic characters, or all of those combined and then some... Then you are indeed like me and are a geek. Now, I know that I write about being a nerd and a geek a lot. I don't mean to toss the word around like a fad. I just don't know how else to describe myself. I have always been that way and somehow just recently I have discovered that somehow being a geek or a nerd has actually begun to become... popular? I don't know. Maybe that's just me. But the popularity of nerds is a subject that we might just address later on in this post. What I'm getting at right now is Female geeks and my opinion on them how they work, and the goods and bads that come with it.


She's actually not a nerd, she just really likes sweater vests. 


Aside from the fun in being a chick geek/ gamer, it can sometimes be kind of hard. I've mentioned before that I used to work at Game Stop, which was a great job. I won't lie, but for a while and still towards the end I would always get those guys who would come in the store, look at me, and walk to the nearest male to ask their questions. Now, I will admit... I'm not the hottest chick around. And I'm sure if I were much more of a looker a lot more of those men wouldn't have minded that much to ask me those questions. But sometimes it doesn't even matter how hot you are, these men want answers and someone to talk to games about and a lot of the time they assume the girl is there for looks and won't know an ounce about the games they are selling to them. Which in some cases is one hundred percent true. In mine, it wasn't. though I had some people who wanted to think so at first. I once had a guy come in and tell me to my face that I probably didn't know a thing about any of the games I was selling and I probably didn't like any of the stuff. He said that I was probably working there because I just needed the money. When I told him about the title he was hiding in his hands, what I thought about it when I played it, and how I probably knew more about computers and games than he did, he sure stopped talking. I also had another guy come in and tell me that he didn't want to talk to me and that he wanted to talk to a man that probably knew ten times more about the games than I did. I said nothing, walked off and let my manager tell the guy about my favorite game that no one else in the store knew more about that me. 

In out current time there are a lot more women interested in gaming and comics then there used to be, and I don't mean to sound naggy, but I do wish that the stereotype would just disappear that none of them know anything. Now, I know that there are a lot of women out there who also claim to be gamers and stuff like that, and then when you look at their game collection, all you see is some puzzle games, and maybe a pokemon game. Uh-uh, that don't count. Apparently to men, that is what a female gamer is. I've had them tell me so, and that is just silly to me. I play MMORPGS, Shooters, RPGs, Puzzles, Music, Logic, and all sorts of other games. You want to play a match of Call of duty with me? Okay, but don't expect to win. Guitar hero? Sure, I'll play with you... But wait, do you play on Expert? I do. Oh okay we'll play a fighter. Did I tell you I beat my boyfriend at MVC3? Oh, What's my favorite game? Oh, that's an easy one Bioshock baby! 

So, I'm that kind of gamer, but I'm a chick... what does that make me, if females who play video games only play puzzles? I guess I'm an other. Now, I'm not bashing on all men. there are some men who find women like me insanely hot. Others, not so much. Either way, I'm not the kind of chick to want all that attention. All I want is someone who can last a match with me in Halo without me pulverizing them with a single plasma cannon and who can talk about common interests. But, that's why I have my boyfriend who is probably even nerdier than me and can beat me at some games. 

Female Gamers/geeks just have a common interest with male geeks. I don't see what the problem is. IF they are threatened by us then they need to grow up. If we can accept that a man can beat us at Professor Layton, then they can accept that a chick can beat them at Gears of War. 

Sadly, it's not only men that make that stereotype last. Women help too. There are chicks who think girls like me are gross and dumb. Not all of them, but there are some. But, I guess equality is too much to ask for. I'm just too lazy to want to deal with the drama I suppose. But we all have to face it... all of us has a little nerd in them somewhere.

So, what are your nerdy habits? If you think you don't have any, do you have anything about you that people stereotype? 

It's funny how weird of a world it is. People don't like things that change and things that are different. Yet, so many people aim to be and do just that. If others just accepted it, things would be so much easier. But, I guess that if that were the case things wouldn't be quite so interesting... would they?

Tonights rant probably didn't make much sense. Most likely because it's almost three in the morning. WHY AM I STILL AWAKE?!

Oy...

Did you know that surgeons who grew up playing video games make 37 % fewer mistakes than the surgeon who did not? Guess gaming can pay off. 

Night guys, have a good one. 




2 comments:

  1. Your 3am rant makes perfect sense. The male gamer community is still incredibly sexist and for a lot of them, video games are still a "Boys Only" establishment. It's sad. Good on you though for being a real deal "girl gamer".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's guys like you who understand, that make me smile!

    ReplyDelete