Tuesday, August 30, 2011

We've Got A Downer

Another almost 3Am post. Gosh, what is wrong with me and staying up so late this week? Dunno, weird.

Well, tonight I'm going on another rant. But, it's another kind of sappy art rant. It's got it's ups and downs. Oh and some posting up of a piece I am working on as well.

Today I discovered the most amazing kind of convention that someone like me could discover... I don't know how it has existed for three years without me knowing, but dear god am I glad that I found out about it now...

It's the CTN Animation Expo. Just. Look at the website. Whenever I do I am just at a loss for words. a convention... for animators and artists alike?! OH. MY. GOD. WHEREHAVEYOUBEENALLMYLIFEBABYIWANTYOUSOBAD. People from the Disney Animation Studios, Pixar, DreamWorks, Blue Sky Studios, Warner Brothers... The list goes on and on.... Andreas Deja will be there. Auughhh! I swear if Glen Keane was there I would be having even more of a mental breakdown than I am right now. It's insane. There will be schools there. Vendors. People creating connections with one another and networking. Portfolio reviews advice and people with the same interests and dreams as me that I can relate to? Oh, my. It sounds like heaven. The things I would do to attend. Sadly, I don't think I would make much of an impression. I am but a mere mediocre artist who dreams big, has no college education or art classes under her belt and no portfolio because what I had built was all saved on my last laptop which got stolen. I also have no money. Ugh. Being unemployed and not being able to afford school sucks. It's even harder when you can't find a job because you currently have no car. The things I would do. For even just for a couple days be able to attend something as marvelous as that and make friends with people in the field I dream of. But, for 140 bucks for 3 days, probably another 200 for a hotel and another for airplane tickets. That is yet another unattainable object in which I seek.

Yes, much like our friend scratte... I just can't ever get that damned acorn. 


I'm sure I wouldn't have so much trouble with money if I had more people who looked at my work and would get a commission or two from me. But, my work is not quite that popular because I draw what I want to draw. People like fan art and pictures of things they are used to already and what they like. Or, half naked or fully naked pictures as well. I just don't want to have to stoop to that level in order to have my art noticed. I want it to stand out because it's good, not because it's what everyone else is doing. Aw well.

Despite my excited high over the animation expo, it was quickly brought down. I can't afford to go to a convention like that right now, I don't even have a car. I have no business attending something so expensive when I have other things to attend to. These were the words of my brother in law. They are indeed right words. I wish they weren't but they are. I have priorities. But still. The benefits and knowledge I would get from attending would feel so worth it to me. A gal can dream if she wants.

Okay. I'll stop boring you with my pitiful-ness.

Here is a little something fun for you guys to look at.

I found a meme floating around on Deviant Art recently. And the meme was to find an old picture that you used to be proud of and redraw it now so that you can see how you have improved and changed your style over the years. So here is my WIP of my current addition.

This is a picture of an OC I drew back in 2008. Yep. OLD. 

This is my un-colored rendition of the same character, now. 
(Full view for best quality I suppose.)

Yea. Aint it crazy to see the difference? the whole time I was drawing this I was just telling myself how horrible I thought the original was and was changing everything I thought could have been improved. It's so odd. And I bet if I do this again in another 4 years, I'll think this picture is horrible as well. Crazy how things change. 

Well, that's my thing for today. It's 3:30 here and I'm about to start making no lick o' sense. 

Did you know that in 1962 Leonardo De Vinci's Mona Lisa was valued at 100 million dollars? What do you think the price would be now? 

And I am off to bed! 










No comments:

Post a Comment